Pineapple Scones with Vanilla Custard
Try this Pineapple Scones with Vanilla Custard Recipe by @SavourDessert. Sunday Bake…every Sunday on PNGBUZZ.COM
- 3 and 1/2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 60 g cold butter, chopped
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, 1cm ×1cm cubes
- 3 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 60 g butter, chopped roughly
For the scones..
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius (200°C fan forced)
- Sprinkle some flour (2 teaspoons)over a cookie tray and set aside
- In a mixing bowl add in the flour and butter and use fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add in the milk, juice and pineapple; use a long flat blade knife or spatula to mix together until just combined.
- Turn the mixture onto a clean, lightly floured bench and shape into a 2cm thick disc.
- Use round scone or cookie cutter to cut circles. Place on the prepared cookie tray. Repeat with the remaining dough until all the dough is used up.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the top and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool
- Place milk in a heavy saucepan; slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape off the seeds with the blade of a sharp knife. Add the seeds into the milk. Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until almost boiling.
- Meanwhile place the egg yolks in a separate heatproof bowl, add in the sugar and corn flour; whisk until mixture is thick, smooth and pale.
- Remove saucepan with milk mixture from heat and slowly pour the milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking very well; working quickly pour the combined egg and milk mixture back into the saucepan and place it back onto the heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat, keep stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t scramble.
- Add in the butter and stir until butter is all melted and mixed.
- Pour custard into a heatproof bowl and place cling wrap over its surface to avoid scaling. Place in the fridge to cool.
Slice scones in half and serve with big dollops of custard…and Enjoy!
Follow @SavourDessert on Instagram for some home-made baking inspiration