Here’s a quick PNGBUZZ recap of yesterday’s parliament session in bullet points…
Key national issues discussed on Day 2, Wednesday 26 June, 2019:
- Supreme court 2016 decision on Manus detention centre: PM assured that his government will not dishonour a court order in place, and will take a week to review and ensure that executive directions are given to match the court order.
- Morobe LLG presidents petition for extention of terms to 2022: PM pointed out that the law states that LLG will run concurrent to National elections, however they are looking to review this and put forward a concept for debate, proposing LLG elections be conducted mid-way through National parliament 5 year terms.
- Renewed focus and support to be given to Provincial and LLG’s in order to improve service delivery in districts
- PM tabled the UBS loan report and announced a commission of inquiry into the amount borrowed by the former O’Neil government.
- Treasurer Basil delivered update on the state of the country’s economy, highlighting revenue shortfalls, higher than expected expenses. Government to take steps to address this with a collaborative approach, with measures to be put in place to stimulate growth.
Day 3 Parliament Session resumes today at 10:00am. Stay tuned for more updates from PNGBUZZ.
Like PNGBUZZ on Facebook