PNG’s airline operators Air Niugini & PNG Air have both announced the recommencement of additional domestic flights after approval was given by the State of Emergency(SoE) Controller.
PNG AIR Update 17 May 2020:
- PNG Air Limited is pleased to announce that scheduled flights into restricted airports of Daru, Kiunga, Wewak and Vanimo will recommence on Monday,18th of May 2020.
- Those intending to travel, holding onto a valid ticket and have queries are encouraged to visit a PNG Air sales office or an agent to be served.
- Acting Chief Commercial Officer, Nancy Nakikus said “PNG Air is looking forward to operate flights and continue to connect people”.
- “We are looking forward to getting normalcy back into PNG and giving our people a quality service they deserve,”
- “PNG Air will continue to comply to State of Emergency orders and adhere to COVID-19 protocols, as the peoples airline of choice, thus connecting you to your loved ones in this trying times of the COVID 19 pandemic”.
- “In the meantime flights into the Autonomous Region of Bougainville are still restricted and PNG Air will work in close consultation with the Office of the Emergency Controller”.
- “We will keep you all posted should a flight be planned for Buka soon”.
AIR NIUGINI Update 13 May 2020:
- Air Niugini is pleased to advise that the State of Emergency(SoE) Controller has given approval for the airline to resume flights to Daru, Kiunga, Vanimo and Wewak.
- No approvals at all are required for flights to any domestic locations other than Buka, although Kieta, Tabubil and Lihir airports remain closed.
- Air Niugini is close to resuming its normal domestic schedule, offering flights to all available domestic ports at least once every day, with increased frequency to Lae, Mt Hagen and Tokua.
- It should be noted that the SoE Controller approval for travel is no longer required and tickets can be purchased as normal.
- Air Niugini continues to operate with strict health and safety measures in place including temperature testing of all passengers, hand sanitising and providing face masks to ensure your air travel is safe.
- Internationally ,Air Niugini maintains its flights to Cairns, Brisbane and Singapore. The outbound flights to these three ports do not require approval.
- Inbound flights are now open for sale however passengers still require the SoE Controller’s approval. Payment evidence of a 14 day hotel accommodation at an approved quarantine hotel must be provided prior to acceptance at check-in.
- Flights to the rest of our international destinations are still suspended. We will advise once approval is given for resumption of operations.