The Minister for Finance and Rural Development and Member for Finschaffen in the Morobe Province, Hon. Rainbo Paita MP this week announced that to complement the Lae to Finschhafen Highway currently under construction by the China Railway International company, the Finschhafen District through its DSIP funding component will concentrate on funding the construction of roads in all the LLG’s in the District in order to providing access to goods and services by the people by unlocking the rural villages that have been left out over the last 45 years.
Minister Paita said the launching and construction of these roads will complement the:
- Mape Ring Road currently under construction ( Nanduo- Samantiki), (Hapondong – Kanenko- Makini- Bokesu- Bedding Road);
- Mindik to Lembati Road
- Pindiu to Mindik Road; and
- Ebabang to Oligidu Road in the District.
Minister Paita said this Program is designed to connect the whole of the Finschhafen District through the provision of transport infrastructure, either by road, jetty and/or air transport services so that everyone in and from the District have an equal opportunity to develop himself or herself when we provide them with these enabling infrastructures.
The CONNECT FINSCHHAFEN PROGRAM also includes:
- The Lae- Finschhafen Highway Project now under construction;
- The Buki Jetty Redevelopment which has already been completed;
- The proposed Tigidu Jetty development;
- The proposed Finschhafen Airport ReDevelopment to take Dash 8 capacity aircraft in partnership with the National Airports Corporation and Air Niugini; and
- The proposed Redevelopment of all the existing Airstrips in the Districts in partnership with the Rural Airstrips Agency and the Morobe Provinsel Government.