Minister for Information and Communication Technology, Hon. Timothy Masiu returned to Port Moresby yesterday, having had a successful Ministerial visit to Australia.
Here’s a quick wrap up of the trip..
- First official engagement for Minister Masiu
- Met with Australian counterpart, Hon Paul Fletcher, and the Minister for International Development, Hon. Alex Hawke, as well as the Head of the Office of the Pacific Office, Ewen McDonald, in Canberra on Wednesday (26/02/20).
- They agreed to further progress Masiu’s notion to establish an annual Regional Ministers’ Forum – proposed to focus on current ICT challenges in the Pacific, opportunities presented by the rapid advances in technology and information security.
- Minister Hawke accepted an invitation from Masiu and will be visiting PNG next week
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the respective heads of the PNG Department of Information & Communication Technology and the Australian Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications on 25 February – the mOU enables Department personnel to tap into the vast experience and resource base of their Australian counterparts, particularly in the areas of ICT policy development and staff training and mentoring.
- Masiu held discussions with agencies that are at the forefront of protecting and enhancing Australia’s ICT sector
- Visited the Telstra Global Operations Centre and the Joint Cyber Security Centre, both also in Melbourne.
- Visited the Australian Digital Transformation Agency and the Department of Finance’s e-government services and systems, in-between his meetings with his colleague Ministers in Canberra.
- Minister and his delegation also travelled to Sydney and met with Facebook Australia. Facebook was invited to set up an office in PNG, and proposed for Facebook to introduce Pidgin and Motu on the social media platform.
- The Minister held discussions with the Australian e-Safety Commissioner on the work they are doing on public e-safety.
- Masiu then met with the ABC Managing Director, Mr David Anderson on the idea of reactivating this ABC training/mentoring engagement with NBC.
- The delegation also visited the Paddington site of the Coral Sea Cable
- Minister Masiu ended his formal engagements in Australia by driving to Bega in country NSW to represent the PNG Government as the Bega community thanked those that assisted them during the recent bushfires.
Feature Pic: PNG Minister Hon Timothy Masiu meets with Minister for International Development Minister Hon. Alex Hawke at Canberra during the Ministerial Visit.