Goroka Teachers College gets recognition

Story courtesy of Kem Toma, Numu Foundation Inc

0
312

The Goroka Teachers College (GTC) in Eastern Highlands Province has now been recognised as a state institution after four years in existence. Located at Ufeto, about 4km West of Goroka Town, the College was established in 2016 as a private run institution.

Goroka Teachers College Principle Mr. Eron Agunama, during the signing with Eastern Highlands Governor Hon. Peter Numu and EHP Secretariat Advisor Mr. John Sari, was happy with the recognition and said the Teachers College would further cater for the ever increasing number of intakes wanting to pursue careers in Teaching.

The total intakes for this year is around 600 plus students from all over PNG with a bigger contingent from Momase and NGI regions including Bougainville (AROB). The College offers 3-year Diploma Courses in Teaching with over 17 qualified and experienced staff.

Governor Numu pledged his support to the College stating that the Provincial Government will support in terms of infrastructure. The National Government will take 80% ownership whilst the Provincial Government will take the remaining 20% ownership of the College.

According to Principle Mr. Agunama, Goroka Teachers College is utilising existing infrastructure and staff houses built by the then-British American Tobacco’s Rothmans Company.

“Yes we would do a lot of renovations in terms of infrastructure, but our emphasis will be on the Curriculum aspects”. He elaborated further that the signed paper is just an assurance but the MOA will be signed later.

Agunama said the 2 things they would concentrate on, which will eventually pave the way for a full registration and progress of the college are to Recruit very good competent qualified staff to the college and install a new Governing council comprising credible people.

Agunama also said they are proud of the governor who saw the importance of such institutions in the province and signed the Agreement of Partnership with the National Government as an agency. As a result, the EHP provincial government is now officially the provincial agency of GTC alongside the National Government.

Once GTC gets full registration, an MOA will be signed between the National Government (Major stakeholder), Department of Education, EHP provincial Government and Goroka Teachers college.

Feature Pic: GTC principle Eron Agunama with Governor Peter Numu. Credit: Kem Toma

Like PNGBUZZ on Facebook
Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here