Try this Beef Pasties Recipe by @SavourDessert. Sunday Bake… every Sunday on PNGBUZZ.COM
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 75g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold water (from fridge)
- extra egg yolk, for egg wash
- 500g beef mince
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 medium sized zucchini, chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (see notes)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon water
- To make pastry, place the flour and butter into a food processor and process until combined. While the motor is still operating add in the yolk, oil and enough water until a dough forms. Turn out onto a clean surface, divide into four equal pieces and shape into a disc. Wrap each piece with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling; heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add in 1 tablespoon of the oil; Add in the mince and stir fry until browned; remove from frying pan onto a heatproof bowl and place aside; add remaining oil onto the same pan and add in the onion; cook the onions until soft; add in the carrots and cook for 10minutes then add in the zucchini and cook for further 15 minutes. Return the beef into the frying pan. Stir in the stock, paste and sauce. Let it simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix the corn flour with water and stir in. Bring to boil and let it simmer until thickened. Season and cool completely.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and further divide each piece into 4 equal pieces; roll each piece between two sheets of baking paper to a 14cm round. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoon of the filling into the center. Bring sides of pastry together and pinch to seal. Brush with the extra egg yolk. Place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake in hot oven (200°C/180°C fan forced) for about 40 minutes or until golden.
Notes: If Worcestershire sauce is unavailable, add in 2 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar.
Follow @SavourDessert on Instagram for some home-made baking inspiration