Celebrate 🇵🇬 PNG’s 44th Independence with this PNG Banana & Highlands Strawberry Choc Chip Cake Recipe (PS. notice the PNG colours…)
PNG Banana & Highlands Strawberry Choc Chip Cake
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup sugar (preferably caster sugar but white or raw sugar is fine)
- 1 egg
- 125g butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or essence)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh Highlands Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced)
- Grease the base and sides of a square cake tin ( line with baking paper if available) and put aside
- Mix mashed bananas and egg in a medium mixing bowl
- Add in the butter, milk, vanilla and sugar and mix well
- Add in the flour and gently fold through
- Add in the chocolate chips and the strawberries and fold in gently until just combined, making sure not to over mix batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 35- 40 minutes or until cooked through
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it over onto a wire rack to cool.
It’s delicious on its own or dusted with icing sugar but if you’re after something more rich, serve with whipped cream or lemon cream cheese icing.
Lemon cream cheese icing* 125g cream cheese, softened *1 cup icing sugar, * 1 teaspoons lemon juice. Beat the ingredients until smooth and use.
Happy 44th Independence PNG! 🇵🇬
Follow @SavourDessert on Instagram for some home-made baking inspiration